Expressions Challenge Terms & Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
VOID OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1. Promotion Period:
The Walgreens Expressions Challenge (the “Contest”) will begin at 12:00 a.m. CT on January 8 and end at 11:59 p.m. CT on March 31.
Open to all legal United States residents in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands who are between 13 and 18 years of age and currently enrolled in high school as of date of Entry. Professional artists, videographers, photographers and writers, or anyone who earns at least 20% of their income by providing these services are not eligible to enter this Contest. Employees of Walgreen Co. (“Sponsor”), GoldStar Communications (“Administrator”) and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household are not eligible.
3. How to enter the contest
During each promotional time period, individuals may enter the contest online by isiting www.expressionschallenge.com (“Contest Website”), completing all required fields of the registration form and then following the onscreen instructions to submit your entry into one of four categories: Visual Arts, Spoken Word, Media arts, and Creative Writing. To be entered in the Visual Arts category, entrants must upload original artwork along with a title and caption. To be entered in the media arts category, entrants must upload MP4 video along with a title and caption. To be entered in the creative writing category, entrants must upload a PDF file original essay, short story, or poem with a title and caption. To be entered into the spoken word category, entrants must upload an mp4 or voice recording of their poetry. The art, photo, video, spoken word, or song should reflect your perspective on Self-Esteem, Teen Pregnancy, Mental Health, Bullying, Gender Identity, Abstinence, Sexual Responsibility Awareness and other topics to educate other teens on these key concerns some teens may face to generate awareness (“the Entry”). Individual and group entrants may submit up to one entry per category during the Promotion Time Period. Entrants, whether submitting as an individual or a group, may not enter into a category more than one time during the contest duration. Group members listed on the entry form for a specific category are not allowed to re-enter the same category as an individual; however, a group member can enter a separate category as an individual or with a group. Multiple entries per category from an individual, group or group member will be disqualified.
4. Contest Submissions Guidelines
- Video submissions must not exceed 180 seconds (3 minutes) in length.
- Video submission files must be: no larger than 1 GB in size and in one of the following formats: .mp4, .mov
- Art or Photo submissions must be original and no larger than 20 MB and in one of the following formats: .jpg, .png
- Creative Writing submissions must be submitted in a .pdf file and cannot exceed 1,000 words.
- Only original music created by or music licensed by the entrant will be allowed in his/her video.
- All Entries must be in English.
- Entries must not have been previously posted where it could have been viewable by the public.
- Entries will be judged on the criteria outlined in Rule #5.
- A Group of up to five (5) people total is welcome to enter. A Group can submit entries online. Only one group member can submit the entry on behalf of the group. This group member will have to select the “Group” tab on the online entry form, and will then be prompted to upload the Group Entry information, which will verify the up to four (4) additional Group member’s participation. Prizes will be split evenly among Group members.
- Limit of four (4) people in addition to entrant [five (5) people total] may be depicted in a video or photo submission.
- Individual Entrants, not entering the contest as a Group, must be able to provide a release form for each person appearing in his/her video or photo submission of his/her Entry. Sponsor must be able to contact each person appearing in the potential winner’s video or photo. Sponsor will provide release form.
- All persons depicted in submitted videos or photos must be 13 years of age or older as of the date of Entry for the Entry to be entered into the Contest. Entrant and all persons depicted in the video or photo must attest that he/she has read, understood and agreed to these Official Contest Rules. Contest entries or portions thereof that include or involve the following will be disqualified, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion:
Obscene, profane, lewd, defamatory content, data or images.
Crude, vulgar or offensive pictures, depictions, images, language gang signs and/or symbols.
Gratuitous violence, guns or other imagery or gestures of weapons.
Explicit, graphic or sexual activity including nudity.
Commercial products such as clothing, toys, food and/or their trademarks, brands, logo or endorsements.
Music of any kind should not be used in videos unless owned or licensed by the Entrant.
License plates, phone numbers, personal addresses (physical or email) or otherwise.
Website or web page links.
Illegal drug or alcohol use or abuse or product images.
Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others.
Trespass or the violation of other people’s rights or property.
Illegal (discriminatory, harassing) or inappropriate activity, behavior or conduct (i.e, inflicting emotional distress).
Conduct or activities in violation of these Official Rules.
- Any other content, display, materials and/or images that are or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Any third party materials (including but not limited to music) that may otherwise violate or infringe any of the following:
- Copyright, trademark, logo or mark that identifies a brand or other proprietary right of any person living or deceased (including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity or portrayal in a false light) or entity, or is otherwise objectionable, will not be considered and may disqualify the Entrant.
- Clothing that is worn in the video or photo or artwork should not contain any visible logos, drawings, cartoons, phrases, trademarks or other third-party materials.
- All Entries must be suitable for broadcast as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
- Entrants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Entry from any source.
- No Entry shall contain any content or performance that has been broadcast or streamed, published or televised on television or as part of a recording of a motion picture film or television program.
- Sponsor has the sole discretion to determine whether art, a video, photo, or song qualify as an Entry. Any Entry not in compliance with the Contest Submission Guidelines will be disqualified.
- Entry submissions must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image and may not be offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or invade publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights. In such an event, the Entry will be disqualified from the Contest.
All Entries including personal information submitted at time of registration become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by entrants’ online service will apply. No information regarding Entries or judging, otherwise set forth in the Official Rules will be disclosed.
5. Contest Judging
Expressions Challenge will take place in two rounds 1) Public Voting, 2) Private Judging by a nationwide panel of judges. Winners for this contest will be selected by either (a) public voting, (b) private judging, or (c) a combination of the two. Walgreens/WBA employees and/or family members cannot participate in judging.
Public Voting is open to the public. Entries which adhere to the contest qualifications and official rules will be posted in the Contest section of the Expressions Challenge website (www.ExpressionsChallenge.com) within 24 hours of submission. Entrants are invited to share their entry with family, friends, teachers, peers, and social networks to vote for their entry. Public Voting ends prior to the start of the Preliminary Judging.
Preliminary Judging is a private judging round administered by the sponsor. In each category (Visual Arts, Spoken Word, Creative Writing Media Arts.), the top 30 entries are selected in each category for a total of 120 entries. An Expert Panel of Judges across the U.S. will review the 120 runner-ups. This Expert Panel of Judges is responsible for identifying the finalists per category (Spoken Word, Visual Arts, Creative Writing and Media Arts) for a total of twelve finalists. All eligible Entries will be judged on the basis of the following judging criteria:
- Appropriateness to Theme (30%)
- Originality (25%)
- Artistic 25%)
- Mention of proposed solution to issues being addressed (10%)
- Entry description consisting of the entry title and a two to five sentence description (10%)
In the event of a tie, tied Entries will be re-judged by the judges based solely on Appropriateness to Theme. Decisions of judges are final with respect to all matters relating to this Contest and all interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsor is final.
General Awards: There will be a total of 12 winners (three in each category): $2,000 first place prize, $1,750 second place prize, and $1,500 third place prize. Each will be awarded in the form of a check. People’s Champ Awards: Four people’s Champ awards will be given (one per category) and the winners will each be awarded a $1,000 prize in the form of a check. Each winner will be selected solely based on the number of votes the entry receives. Teacher Champion Award: Teachers are fundamental in the success of the Expressions Challenge. Teachers go above and beyond for their students by supporting them through the process of brainstorming, creating and submitting their entry. Four teachers who have been a strong partner for Expressions, supported their students along the creation process, shared Expressions with their colleagues and had a strong number of students submit will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize in the form of a check. Each teacher will be located from a different region in the country, Northeast, Midwest, South, and West. Teachers located in Puerto Rico the US Virgin Islands, and all other US Territories are included.
8. General Rules
Winners will be notified by phone, e-mail and/or mail. Potential First and Second Place winners (or his/her parent or legal guardian, if a winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, liability/publicity release (where legal) and assignment of rights within seven (7) days of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited. Return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and alternate determination. A 1099 tax form will be submitted on behalf of the winners’ (or his/her parent or legal guardian’s) by Sponsor for the value of the prize awarded. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. The Sponsor, Administrator and its agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the user or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in this Contest or for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the Entry process or the operation of the Contest or web site; violates the Official Rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel the Contest and determine the winners from among all eligible Entries received prior to cancellation based on the same criteria listed above.
By entering the Contest, each entrant and all persons depicted in each submitted Entry, as appropriate, hereby grant the Sponsor, Administrator and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and legal representatives the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use, reproduce, edit, market, broadcast, store, distribute, have distributed, reproduce, rearrange, change, add to or delete from, translate, adapt or otherwise revise and/or alter the Entry by blurring or distorting any person, place or item depicted in the Entry, on any display thereof, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote his/her Entry, for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes. In addition, each entrant and all those depicted in his/her Entry hereby assign to the Sponsor all royalty-free, non-exclusive rights, titles, and interests that he/she may be deemed to have in any reproduction, product, or derivative work using or incorporating the Entry. Each entrant represents and warrants that: (i) all rights to the Entry belong to the individual entrant and the Entry does not and shall not infringe on any copyright or any other third party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation, (ii) the Entrant has the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses provided herein, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to the Entry (including any approvals from those depicted in your video/photo), free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity, (iii) the Entrant and all those depicted in his/her Entry hereby hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any third party claim arising from use of the Entry and the entrant waives any right to inspect or approve uses of the Entry or to be compensated for any such uses. Participating in the Contest constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agencies to use participants’ names, biographical information, pictures/portraits, likenesses, Entries and/or voices, for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
BY ACCEPTING A PRIZE, SPONSOR, ADMINISTRATOR, AND EACH OF THEIR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE SHAREHOLDERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS, MEMBERS, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY WINNERS FOR ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH AND PROPERTY DAMAGES SUSTAINED, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST OR PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY.
Each entrant and persons appearing in Entry hereby represent and warrant that he/she has read these rules and are fully familiar withits contents.
10. Winners List
The winners list will be available six to eight weeks after each contest period deadline, at expressionschallenge.com.
The Sponsor of the Contest is Walgreen Co., [104 Wilmot Rd MS#1444 Deerfield, IL 60015]. The Administrator of the Contest is GoldStar Communications, 230 E. Ohio St., Suite 406, Chicago, IL 60611.